International Experience Canada (IEC)

Immigration Consultant in Vancouver, BC

Travel & Work in Canada

Work Permit

International Experience Canada (IEC) provides the youth of select countries with the opportunity to travel and work in Canada temporarily. This immigration stream is for citizens of countries or territories that hold a bilateral agreement or arrangement with Canada’s IEC program, with ages 18 to 35 years old. Because this pathway allows you to gain work experience in Canada, participants of this program will have the opportunity to apply for Canadian permanent residency later on, if eligibility requirements are met.

Program Requirements:

Please note that specific age and eligibility requirements may vary by country.

  • be a citizen (passport holder) of one of the 35 countries or be a resident of one of the territories that have a bilateral Youth Mobility Arrangement with Canada;
  • have a valid passport for the duration of their stay in Canada (the work permit issued will not be longer than the validity of the passport),
  • be between the ages of 18 and 30 or 35 at the time of application (the upper age limit depends on the applicant’s country of citizenship);
  • have the equivalent of $2,500 CAD upon landing to help cover initial expenses;
  • be able to take out health insurance for the duration of their stay (participants may have to present evidence of this insurance at the point of entry in Canada);
  • be admissible to Canada;
  • have, prior to departure, a round-trip ticket or the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket for the end of their authorized stay in Canada,
  • not be accompanied by dependents; and
  • pay the appropriate fees.

Depending on which country you’re from, you can choose from up to 1, 2 or 3 pools of travel and work experiences under the IEC:

Working Holiday

Fund your vacation with temporary work in Canada. The type of work permit you get for Working Holiday is an open work permit.

This category is for you if:

  • You don’t have a job offer yet
  • You want to work for more than one employer in Canada
  • You want to work in more than one location
  • You’d like to earn some money so that you can travel

Young Professionals

Gain Canadian professional work experience to better compete in a global economy. The type of work permit you get in the Young Professionals category is an employer-specific work permit.

This category is for you if:

  • You have a job offer in Canada that contributes to your professional development
  • You’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

Under this category, work must be:

  • paid
  • not self-employed

International Co-op (Internship)

Get valuable overseas work experience related to your field of study. The type of work permit you get in the International Co-op (Internship) category is an employer-specific work permit. The internship you are offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of studies.

This category is for you if:

  • you’re a student registered at a post-secondary institution
  • you have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada
  • you need to do this work placement or internship to complete your studies
  • you’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

At MVC Immigration, we will prepare and submit your visa application under the IEC program and provide guidance while you are in Canada. Contact us today for a free consultation to see if you qualify for this program. 

Get Assessed For Free

Quick Inquiry

✓ Valid